Certified Scrum Product Owner
This training prepares participants for mastering the most difficult role in Scrum, taught by seasoned experts. Based on broad real-world experience, this training also brings in elements of the Lean Startup® approach that has been adopted by many companies, large and small, across the world. This approach provides tested and practical techniques for data-based iterative product management within Scrum.
During two days of invigorating exercises, discussions, and lecture, you’ll learn and experience Scrum and Agile fundamentals from the Product Owner’s perspective, along with critical skills such as:
- Articulating clear visions with measurable business objectives – practice Lean Startup techniques such as the lean canvas
- Describing and prioritizing stakeholders – practice techniques from agile user-experienced design such as personas, and customer development methods from the Lean Startup
- Expressing requirements as testable outcomes – practice story writing and acceptance test-driven methods to objectively express requirements and focus development efforts on achieving business results
- Prioritizing new product development, maintenance, and non-software work – learn to prioritize by product, customer and market risk, cost of delay, and more
- Planning releases and sprints – practice advanced techniques like story mapping and visual management systems for programs
- Tracking and reporting outcomes – use quantitative techniques from lean and Lean Startup such as “pirate metrics”
- Scaling Scrum to program-level efforts – experience proven approaches and learn about the Scaled Agile Framework
- Blending Scrum with Kanban and other lean methods – learn from early adopters, and see real-world case studies
- Generating strong working relationships with development teams – practice techniques that focus product and technology on the same outcomes
Upon completion, participants earn their Scrum Product Owner Certification, which includes a two-year membership to the Scrum Alliance, offering valuable materials and information to Product Owners.
All instructors for this course are deeply experienced consultants with backgrounds in both lean and agile methods, who are willing and able to answer real-world questions posed by participants, as well as provide supporting case studies from a wide variety of recent project environments. The course is updated frequently to present the very latest thinking and tools from both the lean and agile worlds, so participants will leave with tested techniques ready to apply to their own situations, not just theory.
- Describe, manage, and prioritize features on a backlog effectively
- Apply techniques from the Lean Startup movement to generate effective metric dashboards and dynamic roadmaps
- Create long-term product roadmaps representing feature-level plans beyond the current budget horizon
- Balance competing needs across broad groups of stakeholders
- Craft Agile-appropriate contracts and budgeting processes
- Plan sprints and releases, and forecast delivery dates for major milestones
- Facilitate effective creation and sharing of complex product visions
- Scale Scrum to work with multiple teams and large, complex environments
- Collaborate with Scrum teams using best-practice techniques and tools
Who Should Attend
Business customers, product managers, line managers, business analysts, quality analysts, product owners, and anyone aiming to maximize the benefit that they receive from their Agile projects by learning how to bring all stakeholders together to execute on a shared vision.
A familiarity with Agile principles as in Course 348: Agile Project Management.
Scrum, Lean, and Agile
- Agile History and Principles
- Process Comparison
Team Structures and Roles
- Team Formation and Scaling
- Agile Contracts
- Program Management
- Problem/Customer Fit
- User Stories and the Product Backlog
Release Planning and Roadmapping
- Story Mapping and Roadmaps
- Stakeholder Management and Prioritization
Product Backlog Management
- Defining Ready and Done
- Backlog Refinement
The Scrum Experience
- Sprint Planning
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Whole Lifecycle Metrics
- Landing and Launching Tools
- Customer Development and Support
Please Contact Your ROI Representative to Discuss Course Tailoring!