Cross-Cultural Communications and Listening Skills
In this course, you will learn how to communicate clearly and directly through the use of verbal and non-verbal techniques. Not only will you recognize the consequence of poor communication, but how to ensure open communication and how to fix communication breakdown. You will also learn when to listen and the “killers” of good listening. You will learn and practice the seven listening skills every staff member should know.
With many different cultures present in today’s work environment, an awareness of general business practices from seven major regions of the world will be discussed. We will review how various cultures view decision making, teamwork, individuality, trust, punctuality, directness, dealing with conflict and superiors, and general business practices. You will learn how to deal with cross-cultural conflict situations, set clear expectations, and how to manage yourself and others in these difficult situations.
We will understand the nature of conflict and understand when conflict is positive or negative. We will learn five strategies for dealing with conflict, the skills necessary to resolve it and the steps needed to reach a mutual understanding. By using exercises and role plays, we will practice defusing and resolving conflict.
Finally, we will review effective and ineffective cross cultural teams and how to create and manage a top performing team.
- Interpersonal communication model and listening and questioning skills
- The seven skills of active listening every staff member should know
- Cross-cultural nonverbal communication
- Dealing with and managing conflict on cross-cultural teams
- Review several culturally-specific business processes and influences that affect most teams
- Learn how to create and maintain a healthy, diverse work team
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for anyone who wants to become proficient in dealing with diverse teams.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Introductions and Objectives
- Discuss learning objectives with the class in order to customize and meet real-world needs
Interpersonal Communications and Listening
- Effective interpersonal communication
- The interpersonal gal
- Listening with understanding
- Questioning skills
Listening Skills Toolbox
- Common listening faults we all have
- Active vs. passive listening
- When should you listen?
- The seven active listening skills
- Listening practice and exercises
Cross Cultural Non-Verbal Communication
- Understand the 20 top North American non-verbal gestures encountered at work
- Review non-verbal communication and gestures from around the world and the impact to teams
Dealing with Conflict on Diverse Teams
- Understand the nature of conflict and methods of dealing with conflict around the world
- Set expectations and processes for handling conflict on your work team
Business Processes and Influences from Around the World
- Review 10 cultural orientations that impact teams
- Understand how cultural views and backgrounds affect work teams
- Develop strategies for managing cultural differences that impact all teams
Create a Healthy Work Team
- Define effective and ineffective teams
- Dealing with dysfunctional teams
- Manage rewards
- Dealing with sub-performers
- Motivating teams in difficult economic times
- Create an action plan for motivating your team back at work
|Please Contact Your ROI Representative to Discuss Course Tailoring!|